Thursday, August 8, 2013

It's Like I Never Left

Kendall WI to Portage WI
49 Miles

Today Rob and I began the ride with the fast Texans and I worked very hard to keep up as we rode through beautiful fields on a beautiful day, enjoying every moment.

We stopped for lunch in the Town of Reedsburg and ate by the trailhead. It was a relaxing lunch, the last with our super sag Sam, and then Rob and I proceeded on.








We encountered a few navigation issues but found our way. After two flats, the first of which I changed with a little help from Rob, I decided to call it a day.  I only had one other flat early on in the trip so this was clearly a sign.






We met in Portage where the group was staying overnight in a beautiful log cabin owned by a friend  of Chris and Jimmy.  Robs car was waiting there and we drove back to Mequon. 





I'm happy to be home for a few days and looking forward to seeing friends, eating the veggies from my garden, repacking and reorganizing, and volunteering at the USAT national triathlon on Sunday among other things.  Now that I'm home it really feels like I never left and its hard to conceptualize the accomplishment I've experienced with more to come beginning next Wednesday. 

One thing I realize is that I haven't blogged much about special moments that occurred such as the woman in Webster SD who when I asked how far it was to walk to the farmers market she responded by saying just take my car or another woman in Bowdle SD who welcomed us into her home even though she was in the hospital with recently diagnosed pancreatic cancer or on a personal note seeing the sign at our send off in Portland OR from Ali, Harvey, AJ, and Ina and the surprise visit from Jon who flew to Portland for three hours to say hi and bye.  Ill make sure to blog about a magic moment for each remaining day of our trip. 




No comments:

Post a Comment